Saturday, August 11, 2018

New Picture Books for 2018

Once again I am participating in the Picture Book 10 for 10 event. I'll have to go back to my old blog and see how many times I've done this, I know not enough! But even when I haven't participated I've taken a look at the other blogs for new books to add to my "to be read" list and put them on hold from my local library and most often they were brought into my classroom for my reading students to enjoy. This year, since I'm newly retired, I'll be taking a look and passing along titles to my friends that are still teaching.

Yes, I am a day late. When I realized I was missing this yesterday I tried to think of the great books I took in to share at a workshop two days before school was out at the end of June. My mind has gone to mush already, I could not think of the titles. So I looked at the pile of books I had sitting on the floor from the library and decided to go with those, new picture books from 2018. See, even though I'm retired kid's books still have a pull on me.


Yep, it's only 9 but it's what I had checked out. UPDATE While picking up the house today I found one more book to add to the list! Unplugged by Steve Antony. :)



Here's a few notes about some of the books:

Unplugged might be my favorite book on this list. Great reminder for our students and ourselves that being unplugged from our devices can be a good thing. 

All Are Welcome is a great book for the first day of school to help all children feel welcome in your classroom.

Forever or a Day may become the next book I begin giving to new parents.

Curiosity is written from the view point of the rover. Great idea!

Bathysphere has wonderful author and illustrator notes at the end. They talk about the process they went through, great for kids to hear.

Even though I have my old favorites I believe it's important to continue to search for newly published books to fall in love with as well. I hope you'll share some of your favorite new books with me so I can add them to my reading pile.

To all of you returning to school have a wonderful year filled with great book sharing. 


4 comments:

  1. Nedra, I'm retired too, but I still make time to read picture books and middle grade novels. Requesting Everything You Need for a Treehouse, Forever or a Day, and Somewhere Else from the library now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also enjoy middle grade novels. I just finished Front Desk by Kelly Yang. If you haven't read it yet request that one as well!

      Delete
  2. Glad to learn about some of these that are new to me. And 9 is fine. I had 11, so we average each other out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. But then today while cleaning I found number 10 to add to the list. :) Tomorrow back to the library to return them and begin looking for new ones from everyone else's posts!

      Delete