Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Finding Inspiration Haiku Day 1/365

Yesterday I was giving myself a pep talk on how I need to lessen my time on social media. Yes I read a lot of articles but I also spend waste so much time scrolling through Facebook and Twitter. However...I'm glad I didn't turn off social media right away. Instead I kept browsing and I retweeted a Tweet from Josh Funk so I could go back and read it at a later time. It was about getting to publication with a book. When I sent out the retweet I added: Retweeting so I can read this later. Not sure I want to write a book but the thought of using my photography for a book has always been in the back of mind as a retirement goal. A few minutes Charles R Smith Jr retweeted and added: Screw retirement. Do it now. Tomorrow is not promised. A little bit everyday adds up. Find a public domain story/poem and get to work. Need inspiration? Check out my books.

Well...that was my inspiration and I'm so thankful I hadn't closed out Twitter for the evening! I let Charles know I am enjoying my first year of retirement and I would check out his books. I spent some time today looking at public domain poetry. I found a few that I liked and saved them to Pinterest. Then I started thinking about haiku. It was always my favorite type of poetry to teach back in the days of teaching first and second grade. This past spring I even won a haiku contest-although there weren't too many entries. So I decided to do a search on haiku. That led me to a great blog called tweetspeak. After reading several posts I was off to the library to pick up the book Haiku in English. I took a few notes from the introduction and started reading the haikus-they are arranged in order by date published, I think-I need to double check that.

So, here's my idea. My new goal is to write one haiku at day and if possible post it with a picture I've taken. Hopefully as the year progresses my haikus will improve and maybe just maybe I'll think about putting some of them into a book.

I wrote a haiku last spring while a passenger in a car watching a flock of geese but it also fit perfectly with our commitment rides for The Ride for Missing Children at that time.

Out of formation
                   Stragglers support each other
         Working hard to rejoin.


Here's my first haiku for my new project: Haiku-365 Days



So, thank you Charles for being an inspiration, lighting a fire under me and getting me started on a project. I needed that! 

Who has inspired you to try something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment